International Western Union
You aren't logged in. For some members, you must be logged in to see special sections. Log in to view them, as this message will soon get annoying.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You aren't logged in. For some members, you must be logged in to see special sections. Log in to view them, as this message will soon get annoying.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interregional Government Discussion

4 posters

Go down

Interregional Government Discussion Empty Interregional Government Discussion

Post by GROSS Independency October 25th 2013, 7:56 pm

This is the topic in which we will design the IWU's plan for the interregional government.

Here is a basic list of what we'll need to do:
--Propose positions for the interregional government (the different offices)
--Decide on which positions we want to use
--Decide on the duties and authorities of each position
--Decide how elections will be carried out

To start the discussion off, this is what I propose:
--An interregional president
--An interregional vice-president
--An interregional legislature
--An interregional foreign affairs minister

Please post your thoughts on this and/or any edits or proposals of your own.
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Interregional Government Discussion Empty Re: Interregional Government Discussion

Post by Kialga October 27th 2013, 11:53 pm

Do we really need multiple offices for this? My honest thoughts are maybe a council of just one or two nations from each region representing their region. Limiting any actual power said council has within each region is a must too.

Current thoughts just skimming through.
Kialga
Kialga
Founder
Founder

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=kialga

Back to top Go down

Interregional Government Discussion Empty Re: Interregional Government Discussion

Post by GROSS Independency October 28th 2013, 12:04 am

Well, you need to think of the benefits of multiple offices. The interregional government isn't just a weak bond between the regions--it's there to keep them working together and as one unit, and to manage them effectively. A single council wouldn't be able to do that. While this government shouldn't be a FULL government, it does need to be enough to manage all four regions.Here are the benefits to each:

--The president: as a single executive, this encourages competition and activity in the regions to gain such a prestigious position. It also allows quick decisions to be made without waiting for a council vote.
--The legislature: Allows representation to be present for the regions in a large sector in the interregional government. It also allows the interregional government to form laws to bring the four regions closer under the administration.
--The vice-president--would, like the president, encourage activity and competition. I imagine the VP as being an adviser to the president as well as the chairperson of the legislature (or a branch of it, if the legislature is bicameral).
--The foreign affairs minister: allows the interregional government to deal with foreign relations as a singular division, rather than sorting out individual relations of each individual region. This would also allow the interregional government to deal with things such as regions requesting a relationship with the interregional government (rather than an individual region within it).
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Post by Pharthan October 28th 2013, 3:07 am

It is my personal opinion that the Foreign Affairs Minister and President should be rolled into one, and that the Vice-President should take over more powers of the President.

Many organizations run rather effectively using this method; a good way to think of it is the way a military organization works:
An Officer (in this case, the President), treats his organization as if it were a cohesive force and wields it as such, as if they were an extension of himself. While he is responsible for his organization, he does not usually assign individual tasks or micromanage any part of it.
The Officer/President is responsible for interfacing with groups outside of his own, and getting his group to work with them, as well as protecting them from outside forces or organizing a response and dealing with punishments of the wrongdoings of those in his group.
The Vice-President is more like an Non-Commissioned Officer/Petty-Officer style role; they deal with the internal dealings of the group and rarely ever the outside dealings. They do more micro-managing, internal oversight, and the like. They often appear to have more power to those within the group, as the VP's actions more relate to the group, whereas the President's actions deal more with outside the group, but the VP still answers to the President, as it is the President's duty to ensure that the group becomes an effective group and performs it's mission in the world.
The President gives us purpose.
The Vice President keeps us running.

Another metaphor: We are all a part of the International Union airplane. The President is the pilot, the Vice is the mechanic. Some of us make up the engine, some of us are the wings, some of us are the wheels, fuel systems, and the like. Most of us will never interact with the pilot on an extensive level, but he's really the one calling the shots because he knows what's needed to keep things running smoothly. He knows what's out there, and he's running us as if we were all one continuous piece - a plane - rather than a grouping of parts that work together. The Mechanic, however, sees the plane for what it's made of. He's the one who actually knows what's going on inside and actually fixes all of the internal problems. He doesn't go fly off with the plane to help out with whatever it does. He still answers to the pilot, but the pilot recognizes his importance and advice, and the plane needs both to keep running smoothly and with a purpose.

To clear up the misconceptions with terminology, I would suggest we rename the Vice President to Chairman, or Speaker, or something more relevant to legislature, as that will more or less end up being their duties and acting as the single internal executive, while the President will be able to perform their own executive decisions - I.E. In the event of a zombie invasion, the President can immediately mandate the closure of all regions if it has been deemed necessary.
Pharthan
Pharthan

Back to top Go down

Post by GROSS Independency October 28th 2013, 6:40 pm

I can agree with the foreign minister and president being combined. I'm not sure I gathered everything you meant from your post, Pharthan, but how close is this?

--The President will be responsible for foreign affairs, as well as approvals and such for legislation. He/she's the head executive.
--The VP will be responsible for internal management and ensuring laws are enforced. He/she is there to ensure everyone cooperates and the system runs smoothly.
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Post by Pharthan October 29th 2013, 4:43 am

That's not precisely what I meant, but by all means, I agree that's good too.

The general idea is to have the VP taking load of off the President's hands and keep him from being overly involved in all of the internal dealings of the group.
Pharthan
Pharthan

Back to top Go down

Post by GROSS Independency October 31st 2013, 10:22 pm

Ok. Since nobody else seems to have proposed any more positions, we'll consider the positions I proposed adopted.

I will create a new topic for each of the positions so they can be discussed separately.
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Post by Kialga October 31st 2013, 11:14 pm

Why are we getting legislation to cover all the regions? Shouldn't each region be self-governing and the connections just be formal? Personally, this extends too much.
Kialga
Kialga
Founder
Founder

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=kialga

Back to top Go down

Post by GROSS Independency November 1st 2013, 12:15 am

The regions will still be self-governing; each on will retain the regional government it already has. The interregional gov't will just be able to pass laws over all of them.

The reason that a true government is necessary is because if the regions simply hold hands together, it's nothing more than "Hey, your region is a friend of my region." That's not even to the level of a confederacy. A true interregional government, however, will be able to operate as a much larger unit and exponentially increase the influence of the IWU and its sisters. Rather than each region working ONLY independently, they will work on their own and at the same time be part of a much larger, complete unit. That will allow things such as the defense organization to become possible, and also will allow the sister regions to work relative to other regions as a full conglomerate. In short, without a full interregional government, the sister regions are nothing more than a few regions with similar names; with one, however, they have the capability to act as a single political unit and become much more influential and efficient.

In addition, nothing like this interregional government has ever been formed before in NationStates. There have been friendly confederacies and alliances, but never has there been a fully established interregional government.
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Post by Pharthan November 1st 2013, 1:20 am

Are all of the regions on board with this?
We also need to be concerned with overstepping sovereignty of the other regions. 
If we're putting too much power into the IRG, then why have separate regions at all?

We need to discuss limitations as well.
Pharthan
Pharthan

Back to top Go down

Post by GROSS Independency November 1st 2013, 8:13 am

Everyone is except the IAU, but they haven't voted yet. We're still waiting on them to form a government and grow bigger so they can decide to join or not. Presumably they will join.

As mentioned, each region will have its own government. The IRG will only make interregional laws. As a result, individual regional sovereignty is still retained.
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf November 4th 2013, 5:48 pm

@GROSS: I have not been keeping up on this very well, and for that I apologize. However, I do have one question. Will interregional law trump regional law?
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by GROSS Independency November 4th 2013, 7:05 pm

Interregional authority will be greater than regional authority, yes. However, certain limits will be established. For example, each region may retain its own government; the interregional government can't disband a regional government or throw out regional officials. I have also considered adding that the interregional laws should be required to affect all regions to avoid singling out a region, but that has pros and cons. While that ensures no unfairness will exist, it also makes the interregional government powerless to help a particular region if it needs help.

The discussion for the IWU's plan is technically over, and since nobody contributed, I'm typing up the IWU plan myself. If you have suggestions, though, I will take them.
GROSS Independency
GROSS Independency

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down