International Western Union
You aren't logged in. For some members, you must be logged in to see special sections. Log in to view them, as this message will soon get annoying.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You aren't logged in. For some members, you must be logged in to see special sections. Log in to view them, as this message will soon get annoying.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conference of the International Western Union

+2
Vizindolf
Kialga
6 posters

Go down

Conference of the International Western Union Empty Conference of the International Western Union

Post by Kialga June 8th 2013, 11:04 am

Samuel R. Leah Memorial Hall, IWU Island, North-Western International Western Union
To all members of the International Western Union,

In light of the recent regional crisis, I request a conference of all IWU Leaders on IWU Island immediately.

The recent regional crisis has brought cries of renewal in the International Western Union as a whole. These renewals will not be simple, and the outline of the IWU must be taken into account before anything can be done. We must find out who is on board and who isn't. We mus find out what ideas we currently have and any new ones that can be brought before the region. In this time of need, the IWU must work together to achieve what we were founded to do. If we cannot unite now, we cannot unite at all.

These trials in front of us are the largest that we have faced as a region, but I believe that we can pull through. Uniting under one flag, we must unite each nation on their ideas so that we can get done what needs to be done. This is no longer an issue of doing our own thing. This is now a regional crisis and I plan on doing everything within my power to make sure the IWU stands out as the regional power that it once was, and the regional power it was, and is to, be.

Yours,
IWU Founder Edward N. Franklin
Nigh Citta, Kialga
This Eighth day of June, Two Thousand Thirteen

Last edited by Kialga on August 15th 2013, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kialga
Kialga
Founder
Founder

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=kialga

Back to top Go down

Conference of the International Western Union Empty Re: Conference of the International Western Union

Post by Kialga June 8th 2013, 11:20 am

Samuel R. Leah Memorial Hall, IWU Island, North-Western International Western Union
Today's weather on IWU Island: High of 81°F (27°C). Low of 77°F (25°C). 98% chance of a rain shower.
Pacing around the meeting hall, Kialgan President Matheo Sjögren awaits the other IWU Leaders to arrive. Former Minister Franklin had called the conference in light of the regional crisis, and Matheo knew that it was going to be difficult to get all, if many, of the leaders from all around the IWU to arrive. A large table had been set up on the raised platform in the front of the room for the members of the Regional Government. A semi-circular arrangement of tables had been set up from there to house the leaders of the other nations.

Approaching Matheo from behind, Franklin patted his colleagues shoulder. "President, you should relax a bit more. we will get plenty of enough people here to do what we need to get done. Trust me, this conference will go better than you expect."

Shaking his head and reaching for a glass of water, President Sjögren gulps it down. Nodding to Franklin, he sets off to Sgt. Thorstein. The Kialgan Military would be taking care of guarding the leaders, a squad of ten men would be assigned to each leader if they didn't use their own soliders. Sjögren checked that each squad was prepared with Sgt. Thorstein, and then returned to the head table. Standing behind his chair, Sjögren looked over the other tables below him. Gulping, he straightens his tie and nods to Franklin.

Returning the nod, Franklin takes a position beside the main door to great the leaders of the IWU, none of whom had he met with in person.
Kialga
Kialga
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Conference of the International Western Union Empty Re: Conference of the International Western Union

Post by Vizindolf June 8th 2013, 2:39 pm

A slight rain had just begun as President Alexander Titov's
Boeing 747-8 began its descent into Union Air Port (UAP) on IWU Island. The
President was sweating, but he did not know whether it was the stagnant heat or
the gravity of the upcoming conference which caused it. There was no doubt that
he was upset about what was going on in the IWU lately. The population was
dropping quickly and the government had become totally incapable. Titov lowered
his head, feeling partially responsible for all of this. After all, it had
begun during his term in office. This made him feel incredibly guilty.

The President was now hoping that this conference and Seymour
De Jong’s new renewal program would help. In addition to this, Titov had some
ideas of his own to share with the assembled delegates.

Todd Williams, the President’s chief of security, approached
Titov. “Sir, we have landed and your convoy is ready to get going when you are”

“Thank you Mr. Williams, tell them that I will be right down”.
Todd nodded and left. Titov then picked up his briefcase and umbrella before departing
the aircraft and got into his Ford Expedition.

After about 20 minutes, the Presidential convoy arrived at
the Samuel R. Leah Memorial Hall. Williams got out of the SUV first and scanned
the area. He immediately noticed the snipers on top of the building, no doubt a
Kialgan security force. Williams had heard many times just how good these
soldiers are. This thought gave him comfort, a feeling that he rarely had. He signaled to one of his men to let the
President out of the vehicle and to move him into the building.

Once Titov entered the hall he greeted Edward Franklin, a
man who he had great respect for. After all, Mr. Franklin had been an integral
part of the founding of the IWU.

Next, Titov greeted President Matheo Sjögren of Kialga,
another man he respected. He could tell that like himself, President Sjögren
must have had a lot on his mind.

After this, President Titov went to his assigned seat and
began sifting through the contents of his briefcase, waiting for other leaders
to arrive.
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Iloistan June 8th 2013, 3:20 pm

King Raven Alpha began it's decent to Union Air Port on IWU Island after a 7 hour flight. After much political turmoil and many reforms, newly elected Chairman David Adaman now represented the Federation of Iloistan. He was not new to politics though. He had several years of experience of being a regional Senator and an extensive military career before that. His country was still somewhat of "the new kid on the block", so he was quite interested in what might come of this conference.

King Raven Alpha landed and the Chairman and a few aids entered their respective Diplomat Convoy. They quickly reached Samuel R. Leah Memorial Hall. Adaman then proceeded to enter the hall. He greeted the leaders that were already present in their respective way. He then sat in his assigned seat and waited patiently.
Iloistan
Iloistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ugandavitz June 8th 2013, 4:58 pm

President Debou adjusted his military ribbons and pins. This was the first time he was meeting leaders of the Union. Admittedly, he was a bit nervous; he felt a few beads of sweat trickle by his brow, a tell-tale sign, or an effect of the humidity of this damned island, travelling outside of Ugandavitz made Debou uneasy. He motioned to his Presidential Guards to walk towards the Conference. Quickly found his seat and nervously, quietly, humbly greeted all leaders befire sitting himself down.
Ugandavitz
Ugandavitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardenland June 8th 2013, 7:38 pm

Seymour de Jong entered the conference room, and sat himself down, patiently waiting for the conference to begin.
Aardenland
Aardenland

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 9th 2013, 12:13 am

OOC: Due to our time crunch, I would like to get this going ASAP. With this in mind, I will begin. Anyone can jump in at any time. Also, I will not be doing this particular post in character, due to the fact that it is late where I live and I do not want to spend another hour typing a scenario.

The following are some of my ideas to help the region out. Please keep in mind while you read that it was quickly scratched down and is not written as well as I would like it to be yet.

HOW TO GET THE IWU BACK ON TRACK- The Vizindolf Plan

Phase 1: Restructuring the Government

I believe that the current system takes what little power there is and spreads between far too many different positions. The result is a group of nations who all hold little power. My idea is to gather a group of 3 "Consuls" who would collectively have all of the power. These Consuls would be voted in once every three months by all of the IWU. Initially, due to extremely low region activity, these Consuls will have to be appointed by this Committee. There will also be a another group of three nations called the Justice Committee. If at least, say, 20% of the regional population has a problem with something that the Consuls passed, then they can appeal it to the Justice Committee. The Committee will be made up of three other nations who are not consuls. One of the Consuls who voted for the bill will be asked to act as a lawyer to defend the Consuls decision.

I wish to provide an example to illustrate all that I have said. Let’s say that Nation A, B, and C have been appointed as Consuls. Now, let’s say a different, regular nation asks the consuls to decide upon an idea he has to kick out any nation that isn't active for 10 days. Now let’s say that the Consul A and C both believe that this should be put into action. Thus, the majority rules. Now, let’s fast forward to a time when someone is about to be deleted for being inactive for 11 days. This person manages to get 20% of the region to support him in his dislike of the new law. When that happens, the law goes up the Justice Committee for review. Now, the nation who dislikes the law and one of the consuls who originally supported the law will both write arguments for their respective sides and send them to each of the Justice Committee members for a decision. Whatever the Justice Committee says is final.

Also, Kialga, as the founder of the region you have much of the actual power all to yourself. You would need to be willing to use it whenever the consuls or the Justice Committee tell you to, whether you like their decision or not.

Under this plan, the positions of President, Vice President, and the IWURC will be dissolved.

Phase 2: Population/Activity Growth

First, the Secretary of Recruitment, who will normally be elected, should be appointed as well to get this nation back on its feet.

Next, the Secretary of Recruitment, once chosen, will have to appoint a Vice Secretary to aid him/her. These two will be responsible for all recruitment efforts, but still ultimately report to the Consuls. If The Secretary or the Vice Secretary feels that further aid is in order, then they will ask for volunteers.

Next, a RP Arbiter will be installed (normally elected). This individual will be in charge of creating and maintaining all RP action within the region. This Arbiter must create RP's when there are none made by the general public. Also, he will decide upon and enforce the rules in an RP.

Next, all nations will be greeted upon entrance to the region and will be encouraged to join our Forum, where a great amount of regional activity will take place.

Next, we must have a very simple way for new nations to see what the IWU is all about. We do have a topic on the forum for tips to help new nations, but I do not believe it is enough. We should have a page that lists all of the important information (Constitution, rules, tips, ways to get involved etc.) in one concise document. I would be happy to nominate myself for this task. Once I am finished, I will ask Kialga to post a link to it in the Factbook so that it is readily available.

My last idea takes place on the RMB. I find that when a nation asks a question, many people respond and we have a great discussion. With this in mind, I would like to post a question every day that I am able to the RMB for discussion purposes. It can be anything from a favorite movie to what people think about a certain school subject. These questions will only be guidelines for conversation and if someone wishes to depart from the "question of the day", they should feel free to do so. I believe that this will increase RMB activity and help us to grow closer as a region, which is one of my cardinal goals.

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO COMMENT ON WHAT I HAVE PROPOSED! I WILL BE UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING IF NOBODY RESPONDS!
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Iloistan June 9th 2013, 1:29 am

OCC: Yep screw being in character, we have a real problem on our hands.
You have a well thought out plan of attack Vizindolf and I support you plan. Sorry if this seems like a rushed decision, but I read your entire proposal and it all sounds good to me.

One thing to add to your plan, a new area should be made on the forum where the general populace can leave proposals to the Consuls. Also, can the Consuls create proposals on their own?
We definitely need an area where the general populace can view passed proposals and what not, unless there already is a place that is unknown to me.

Also I think we need to do something about the intelligence committee on which I'm currently on. The fact is, we do absolutely nothing. Unless we can create some type of RP for it, give it its own private section on the forum like the Council had, or something else entirely, I think it should just be dissolved.
Iloistan
Iloistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenburg June 9th 2013, 6:32 pm

We should probably fix that broken down, ramshackle we call an IWURC while we're at it. With the "three leaders" idea, would we even need it? It seems like a flawed institution.
Fenburg
Fenburg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kialga June 9th 2013, 7:37 pm

Vizindolf wrote:I believe that the current system takes what little power there is and spreads between far too many different positions. The result is a group of nations who all hold little power. My idea is to gather a group of 3 "Consuls" who would collectively have all of the power. These Consuls would be voted in once every three months by all of the IWU. Initially, due to extremely low region activity, these Consuls will have to be appointed by this Committee. There will also be a another group of three nations called the Justice Committee. If at least, say, 20% of the regional population has a problem with something that the Consuls passed, then they can appeal it to the Justice Committee. The Committee will be made up of three other nations who are not consuls. One of the Consuls who voted for the bill will be asked to act as a lawyer to defend the Consuls decision.

I wish to provide an example to illustrate all that I have said. Let’s say that Nation A, B, and C have been appointed as Consuls. Now, let’s say a different, regular nation asks the consuls to decide upon an idea he has to kick out any nation that isn't active for 10 days. Now let’s say that the Consul A and C both believe that this should be put into action. Thus, the majority rules. Now, let’s fast forward to a time when someone is about to be deleted for being inactive for 11 days. This person manages to get 20% of the region to support him in his dislike of the new law. When that happens, the law goes up the Justice Committee for review. Now, the nation who dislikes the law and one of the consuls who originally supported the law will both write arguments for their respective sides and send them to each of the Justice Committee members for a decision. Whatever the Justice Committee says is final.

Also, Kialga, as the founder of the region you have much of the actual power all to yourself. You would need to be willing to use it whenever the consuls or the Justice Committee tell you to, whether you like their decision or not.

As most of the nations that I originally founded the IWU with have decided to quit, I am fine by this.

Vizindolf wrote:Under this plan, the positions of President, Vice President, and the IWURC will be dissolved.

As much as I hate to kill democracy, I can do this.

Vizindolf wrote:First, the Secretary of Recruitment, who will normally be elected, should be appointed as well to get this nation back on its feet.

Next, the Secretary of Recruitment, once chosen, will have to appoint a Vice Secretary to aid him/her. These two will be responsible for all recruitment efforts, but still ultimately report to the Consuls. If The Secretary or the Vice Secretary feels that further aid is in order, then they will ask for volunteers.

Just saying this is fine by me~

Vizindolf wrote:Next, a RP Arbiter will be installed (normally elected). This individual will be in charge of creating and maintaining all RP action within the region. This Arbiter must create RP's when there are none made by the general public. Also, he will decide upon and enforce the rules in an RP.

I strongly disagree with this. I feel while, yes, we need someone to oversee this, I do not believe that we should discourage the --- oh wait, I read that wrong. Maybe make this a group effort instead of a single individual.

Vizindolf wrote:Next, we must have a very simple way for new nations to see what the IWU is all about. We do have a topic on the forum for tips to help new nations, but I do not believe it is enough. We should have a page that lists all of the important information (Constitution, rules, tips, ways to get involved etc.) in one concise document. I would be happy to nominate myself for this task. Once I am finished, I will ask Kialga to post a link to it in the Factbook so that it is readily available.

If you can get this together, I'd be willing to make an HTML page to attach to the forums so that that is the first place they would come upon when coming to the forums. This idea can be changed.

Vizindolf wrote:My last idea takes place on the RMB. I find that when a nation asks a question, many people respond and we have a great discussion. With this in mind, I would like to post a question every day that I am able to the RMB for discussion purposes. It can be anything from a favorite movie to what people think about a certain school subject. These questions will only be guidelines for conversation and if someone wishes to depart from the "question of the day", they should feel free to do so. I believe that this will increase RMB activity and help us to grow closer as a region, which is one of my cardinal goals.

So, basically a Topic of the Day? Works for me, as other region already have this instilled.
Kialga
Kialga
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 9th 2013, 9:27 pm

Iloistan wrote:
One thing to add to your plan, a new area should be made on the forum where the general populace can leave proposals to the Consuls. Also, can the Consuls create proposals on their own?
I agree to adding a place on the forum for proposals. Consider it added to the proposal. Yes, Consuls would be able to make their own proposals.

Iloistan wrote:Also I think we need to do something about the intelligence committee on which I'm currently on. The fact is, we do absolutely nothing. Unless we can create some type of RP for it, give it its own private section on the forum like the Council had, or something else entirely, I think it should just be dissolved.
I agree with you that it is fairly lame, but it works to some degree. I will tell you exactly what it is supposed to do and you can critique it if you find it flawed.

The Intelligence Committee is supposed to create puppets and plant them into regions that we view as suspicious. Every once and a while, you should check up on these regions and see what they are talking about and if they are planning any raids.

That is pretty much it, but if you have any ideas on what else they could do, feel free to present them.
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 9th 2013, 9:28 pm

Fenburg wrote:We should probably fix that broken down, ramshackle we call an IWURC while we're at it. With the "three leaders" idea, would we even need it? It seems like a flawed institution.

Under my plan, the IWURC would be dissolved, along with the positions of President and Vice President.
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Iloistan June 9th 2013, 9:37 pm

[quote="Vizindolf"]
Iloistan wrote:
I agree with you that it is fairly lame, but it works to some degree. I will tell you exactly what it is supposed to do and you can critique it if you find it flawed.

The Intelligence Committee is supposed to create puppets and plant them into regions that we view as suspicious. Every once and a while, you should check up on these regions and see what they are talking about and if they are planning any raids.

That is pretty much it, but if you have any ideas on what else they could do, feel free to present them.

Thank you for giving me details, I will make some puppets. Do we have any regions that we might want to keep an eye on? We are weak right now.

I think their should be a place on the forum where the Intelligence committee can report any suspicious findings.
Iloistan
Iloistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 9th 2013, 11:07 pm

Kialga wrote:I strongly disagree with this. I feel while, yes, we need someone to oversee this, I do not believe that we should discourage the --- oh wait, I read that wrong. Maybe make this a group effort instead of a single individual.

I agree with you. It would work much better as a group effort.

Kialga wrote:If you can get this together, I'd be willing to make an HTML page to attach to the forums so that that is the first place they would come upon when coming to the forums. This idea can be changed.
Will do
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Iloistan June 10th 2013, 12:59 am

If enough people voice their opinion against the 3 idea, then I would instead propose a group of 5 consuls and 5 judges. I'm still in favor of 3 though. Our problem is inactivity so 3 might be the best course of action for now, then expand up to 5 down the road.

Iloistan
Iloistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ugandavitz June 10th 2013, 1:28 pm

You let me know what regions are of interest. I have some puppets of significant power, and can slither my way through other regions' "security". Looking forward to working with you all .
Ugandavitz
Ugandavitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardenland June 10th 2013, 5:41 pm

I didn't like the idea of three. Five sounds better, but I'm still wary of the idea, whether it's a triumvirate, quintumvirate, or a decemvirate. I do like its straightfowardness, though.

Last edited by Aardenland on June 11th 2013, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aardenland
Aardenland

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 10th 2013, 10:26 pm

@Aardenland: I understand your concerns about governmental exclusivity. I myself was somewhat hesitant to propose this, knowing how badly triumvirates worked in history. However, I wish to point out to you that there will still be plenty of spots for people to get involved in. In addition to the 3 Consuls, there will also be 3 on the Justice Committee, 2 in the Recruitment area, 4 in the Intelligence, 2 in the World Assembly, 3? in the Role Playing area, and another 4 between the Ambassadorial Committee, the Adviser and the Official Chairman. In total, there will be around 21 spots in the government that will be open.

Also, I do agree with you that five Consuls would be ideal, but as Iloistan stated, our current regional activity level may not allow for that to immediately happen. As I said before, we would need around 21 active people to fill the open positions, and currently that is a tall order. I certainly would be in favor of raising it to five once we have sufficient regional activity though.

If you have any other ideas on how to improve this or have something completely new in mind, please feel free to share. What I have proposed is by no means the only thing we have to look at.
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ugandavitz June 11th 2013, 4:28 am

Just an idea, but maybe the ambassadors should be tied in or related to the intelligence aspect, just to prevent a situation where there are too many positions, and not enough actually active members.
Ugandavitz
Ugandavitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Iloistan June 11th 2013, 4:46 am

Interesting Ugandavitz.....

Sounds good to me actually, basically we should combine the two. Change the title to "Foreign Affairs Committee" or something along those lines .
Iloistan
Iloistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 11th 2013, 12:39 pm

That is a good idea, Ugandavitz! And I like the name Foreign Affairs Committee. Unless anyone protests, consider it added to the proposal.
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardenland June 11th 2013, 4:32 pm

Anyone up to drafting a new constitution for this?
Aardenland
Aardenland

Back to top Go down

Post by Vizindolf June 13th 2013, 1:05 am

Aardenland wrote:Anyone up to drafting a new constitution for this?

We would have to, though I would like to save that for another day. First we must vote on the proposal, a copy of which has been posted to the RMB. I highly encourage everyone to vote!
Vizindolf
Vizindolf
IWU Consuls
IWU Consuls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down